Saturday, June 11, 2011

House Hunting

Right now I live on the ship, in overflow berthing. Woof. The Navy gives a generous housing allowance (the Japanese gov't gives our Navy money to do this to stimulate the local real estate), so finding a place is not particularly limited by cost. Last night I was in Yokohama, an awesome city to the north, about a 30 min train/ subway right away. It is extremely nice, plus the nightlife is way better than the Honch, the local scene in Yokosuka (real divey). The only reason not to live in Yokohama is that it is so far away. But some people do. I am looking for something closer, a nice area and really nice building, with other navy people, with nice scenery. Everyone is very helpful with advice, but I keep forgetting where they suggest because its Japanese words. Basically, I'll have to get a place really fast when we return from my first deployment, and I'll probably have to settle.

Speaking of Japanese words, it is amazing how well some of my fellow officers know Japanese. They fall in love with the country, keep doing tours here, and before you know it they are awesome at speaking it. Right now I am too busy learning my Job to really dive into Japanese, but it is high on my to do list. It is really awesome to see other officers use Japanese to Japanese. Its a door opener.

Speaking of my job, my position is CE Division Officer, CE DivO. I work in communication electronics. There are communication electronics EVERYwhere on the dang ship, so we own a lot of equipment. It is a very technical department, opposed to the deck or nav. I will basically do paperwork for repair and admin stuff for the people in my div. There are 18 people in the div, one of the biggest on the ship. It will be a challenge to grasp, and I've already been told in a couple of months I will be moved to the CC div to be the CommO, communications officer. Woof.



Back to Yokohama, we were there for a Wetting ceremony. We were saying goodbye to two LTjg's who were leaving the ship. They briefly gave a welcoming to me, the newest in the wardroom. The party was paid for by those who got promoted - they put their first promotion check into throwing a free party for the wardroom. We had it at this American bbq place called the Taproom. The XO and CO where there, and most the JO's. Around 20 people in all. I am so lucky to be on the LASSEN, the wardroom is very tightly knit, which is not the case for all ships. Everyone has been really welcoming and friendly. I can only hope to achieve the level of friendship I can see in the others in the wardroom.

1 comment:

  1. Rhoda! Good to see the japan living is going well. Keep up the posts. Tanner and I are rolling to missoula right now to kick it for a week. We need a good excuse to come to japan so whenever you want get that new wife we'll be there.

    ReplyDelete